Overview of the Synergis RIO API
This document describes how to create devices that support the RIO protocol in Security Center, and how to use the RIO API through a series of sample request and response messages.
For information about each Synergis Softwire release, such as known issues, limitations, and supported web browsers, see the Synergis Softwire Release Notes.
The Readers, Inputs, and Outputs (RIO) API is designed to help third-party access control device manufacturers integrate their interface panels for readers, inputs, and outputs into Security Center. Devices that support the RIO protocol can be monitored and controlled through any Synergis appliance (Synergis Cloud Link or Synergis Master Controller).
All RIO protocol messages (API calls) are sent and received through HTTPS. A successful login returns an authentication cookie that is valid for 30 minutes. Each request that is made with a valid authentication cookie receives a response with a new authentication cookie that is valid for another 30 minutes. All messages support the content types application/xml and application/json.
To update an interface's status, use the following:
To receive messages for an interface, use long polling.
- As of Synergis Softwire 10.8, SSL and TLS 1.0 are disabled on Synergis units.
- As of Synergis Softwire 11.2.1, TLS 1.1 is disabled on Synergis units.
- The recommended TLS version is 1.2.
Naming conventions for device labels
- Reader, input and output labels should not exceed 100 characters.
- Do not include spaces in the names or labels of channels, interfaces, readers, inputs, or outputs.